George, Sorry to hear about today’s approval rating: down to a record low 37%. Yikes! Jolly glad to hear your PR chap say that he’s not paying attention to the numbers – a bit like the deficit eh?
Anyway I know that you don’t read magazines and stuff so I thought I’d just tell you that I’m a bit worried about this article I’m reading in Rolling Stone this week – it’s the one with the Billie-Joe guy from Green Day on the cover (the little chap with make-up who made the album called American Idiot – have we found out who he was referring to yet?) Anyhow the article I’m reading is all about global warming and has lots of useful quotes and info in it. Here’s some things we need to talk about the next time we hook up…
1) In the US (which is) 5% of the world’s population (we) manage to produce 20% of the planet’s CO2.
2) Defeat terrorism by freeing America from it’s dependency on foreign oil…America’s energy demand is financing terror. (This quote from a former director of the CIA!)
3) The relationship between humankind and the earth has been utterly transformed…we have quadrupled the population of our planet in the past hundred years…the power of the technologies at our disposal vastly magnifies the impact each individual can have on the natural world.
4) The era of procrastination…is coming to a close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences.
5) We are entering the “Oh shit” era of global warming.
6) The Chinese…still only use about one-eigth as much energy as Americans.
You’re right George. Comments from a bunch of wishy washy pinko-liberals the lot of ’em. Except – you might want to have a word about all this with your pal Ahnold – he’s letting the side down. The Governator “signed an executive order (in June) requiring California – the world’s sixth largest economy – to slash its climate warming emissions by 80% by 2050.” This puts California ahead of Britain (which unlike the U.S. signed the Kyoto protocol) which is one of only 4 countries pledging a paltry 60% reduction by 2050.
You’re right again George. This is just another collection of bad science by a bunch of stupid scientists. But how do we explain away this one…?
“(The Inuit) recognized the threat global warming long before science confirmed their observations. (They noticed) robins and barn owls began showing up in the North’s frozen reaches, the Inuit had no names for them.”
(All quotes from Rolling Stone #987 – 11/17/05)